This easy gourmet homemade cranberry sauce recipe is done right in your Instant Pot. You can make it up days ahead (it lasts for about 2 weeks). Made with port, rosemary, cinnamon and ginger, this cranberry sauce is one of the Thanksgiving essentials, you just can’t have turkey without it! After making this recipe, you will never buy canned cranberry sauce again! (If you ever did – this website is for foodies, so I’m pretty sure many of you never bought the canned stuff to begin with). Serve this with my easy Instant Pot Turkey and Gravy. (updated)
Port in Cranberry Sauce?
When I was younger, I made the Ocean Spray cranberry sauce recipe on the back of the bag. I just love cranberry sauce with orange juice. Over the years I’ve been experimenting with port, wine and herbs- especially after living in Germany for so many years. I am a big fan of the German Preiselbeeren sauce that many restaurants served alongside the meat. Cranberries are the closest version we have to their Lingonberries but not quite as sweet. This cranberry sauce recipe with port, rosemary, cinnamon and ginger is my best version yet! Some people make their cranberry sauce with wine, but I love to use port! This port happens to be one of Chateau Ste. Michelle’s little known projects. My favorite local winery!
Healthy cranberry sauce?
Just to be clear some recipes I don’t like to mess with when it comes to lightening them up. This is one of them. Because cranberries are so tart, you can’t really cut down on the sugar too much so this is one of those recipes that I make during the holidays as a special treat. (Of course you could use a sugar substitute but yuck, most of that stuff gives me a huge migraine).
The great thing about this gourmet homemade cranberry sauce is that I have included the point values and calories. So at least you know exactly what you’re eating. And 3 points for 1/4 c. isn’t bad. I probably only eat 1/4 cup at Thanksgiving dinner anyway so for a holiday treat, it could be way worse. Of course you can use honey if you’d like but the point values are actually more.
Can you freeze it?
Yes, you can definitely freeze this cranberry sauce. Just thaw it out before serving.
What can you do with the leftover Instant Pot Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Port?
Leftover cranberry sauce is great over yogurt, on toast, or cereal. Use it as an appetizer with cheese, and you can also freeze it for later.
Can you make this homemade cranberry sauce recipe on the stove?
Yes, definitely! Just put everything into a sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring often. The reason I like doing it in the Instant Pot is that it frees up the stove for other things and also you don’t have to stir it. You throw it all in and your part is done.
How to cook cranberries in the Instant Pot:
Cranberries are super simple to cook. I don’t like them overcooked and mushy. I like to see a few whole berries in the sauce. If you like them more on the mushy side, then do 4 minutes in the Instant Pot. If you like them more whole, then try 2 minutes.
Instant Pot Homemade Cranberry Sauce with Port
- Instant Pot
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh cranberries rinsed and sorted
- 3/4 c. orange juice
- zest from one orange
- 3/4 c. port
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 t. vanilla
- 1 t. fresh ginger grated optional, use only if fresh
- 1 t. fresh rosemary optional, use only if fresh
- 1 cinnamon stick
- To the Instant Pot combine: cranberries, orange juice, zest, port, sugar, vanilla and cinnamon stick.
- Press, "Sauté," and heat just a few minutes until boiling. You want to boil off the alcohol on the port before you pressure cook it.
- Turn off Instant Pot. Put on the lid, set the vent to sealing (on the newer models you may not need to do this).
- Press manual/high pressure and set for 2-4 minutes. If you like your cranberry sauce, more sauce, then do 4, if you like to see whole berries, then do 2-3 minutes. When it's finished, allow to natural release for about 10 minutes, then release pressure. Stir well and sauté again for just a few minutes. Allow to cool. Refrigerate or freeze. Serve cold or at room temperature. Can be refrigerated up to 2 weeks.
Try my other homemade cranberry sauce recipe!
Instant Pot Manhattan Cranberry Sauce is another unique cranberry sauce but with orange juice, bourbon and sweet vermouth. Its name, comes from the holiday drink – “Cranberry Manhattan.” This recipe is quick to make and it can be frozen.