You will love these Roasted Brussels Sprouts in a light Creamy Parmesan Sauce even if you’re not a brussels sprouts lover. This unique combination of the bacon, garlic and sherry with the parmesan cream sauce makes these brussels sprouts so decadent! Try this as a unique side dish for Thanksgiving this year!
My husband and I first had a version of these (of course way more calories than my recipe I’m sure) at Roy’s Ko Olina in Hawaii. They were absolutely amazing! I didn’t even realize brussels sprouts could taste so good!
How did I lighten this recipe?
Luckily brussels sprouts are great for you and have very little calories to begin with. Because of this, you can add a few rich ingredients and the brussels sprout recipe won’t be too bad in calories/points. Although I do love frying bacon, then sauteing the onions in the bacon grease, you can cut out a lot of calories by just buying bacon crumbles. I like the Costco Kirkland Brand. They are moist and not dried out.
Other lightened up ingredients include half and half instead of full fat cream and I used only a small amount of butter. I’m sure the original recipe includes cream and lots of butter. I tried to go easy on both of them and I also used olive oil spray instead of olive oil when roasting the brussels sprouts. The version I had at the restaurant was definitely “saucier,” and “creamier,” but this version is definitely healthier and yet still tastes fantastic!
How to Make Roasted Brussels Sprouts in Creamy Parmesan Sauce
Preheat oven to 425°.
Cut brussels sprouts in halves or quarters depending on how large they are.
While sprouts are roasting, heat a large non stick pan on high. Add butter.
Add onions, stir for about 2 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Add garlic and continue cooking until onions are softened and starting to brown.
Add half and half and sherry to the onion mixture. Heat on medium stirring occasionally.
When sauce starts to thicken, add parmesan cheese, bacon crumbles and roasted brussels sprouts. Serve immediately. They are also good as leftovers.
Looking for more healthy Thanksgiving Side Dishes?
If you like these Roasted Brussels Sprouts in Creamy Parmesan Sauce, you’ll love these Crispy Sesame Air Fried Brussels Sprouts.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts in Creamy Parmesan Sauce
- 2 lbs brussels sprouts
- olive oil spray or 1 t. olive oil
- kosher salt to taste
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1/2 onion finely chopped
- 1/2 T. unsalted butter.
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 T. crumbled bacon I use the Costco Kirkland brand
- 1/2 c. half and half
- 1/4 c. sherry
- 4 T. parmesan cheese
- lemon zest optional
- parmesan cheese garnish optional
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Cut brussels sprouts in halves or quarters depending on how large they are.
- Place them in a bowl or bag. Spray with oil, sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper and stir or shake the bag well.
- Place them on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment paper. Bake for about 20 minutes or until tender.
- While sprouts are roasting, heat a large nonstick pan on high. Add butter.
- Add onions, stir for about 2 minutes, then reduce heat to low. Add garlic and continue cooking until onions are softened and starting to brown. I just let them cook for about 10-15 more minutes, stirring occasionally while the brussels sprouts are roasting but if you have an electric stove, you may want to move them off the burner when tender otherwise the heat will be too much and they may burn.
- When sprouts are almost done, finish the sauce. Add half and half and sherry to the onion mixture. Heat on medium stirring occasionally.
- When sauce starts to thicken, add parmesan cheese, bacon crumbles and roasted brussels sprouts. Serve immediately, although these are great reheated as well.