Why do I love this recipe?
This Healthy Stuffed Delicata Squash with Spicy Chicken Sausage and Cranberries recipe is one of my favorite dinners for three reasons:
- It is easy and comes together very quickly (under 30 minutes) if you already have the chicken sausage made in the freezer. You can also buy chicken sausage but you may want to add your own seasonings. If you use my chicken sausage recipe, you don’t need to add any spices.
- It’s low in calories and very filling! Perfect on a fall or winter day.
- Each person gets their own half of the squash and the squash makes a pretty serving dish.
What is Delicata squash and can I use other squashes?
What is it? Delicata squash tastes quite a bit like butternut squash but it’s easier to prep. I like using Delicata squash because it’s the perfect size and because it’s easy to cut in half. It has a thin skin compared to the other squashes and the skins are actually edible. But if you can’t find it, acorn, butternut and spaghetti all work well. This squash doesn’t take long to roast in the oven.
How do I cut and roast Delicata Squash?
Delicata squash is so easy to cut and cook! Slice lengthwise in half. Spray with your Olive Oil Mister and sprinkle salt and pepper over each half. Place cut side down on a baking sheet and bake at 425° for about 25-30 minutes or until squash is tender with a fork. That’s it!
Unique idea for Thanksgiving-Great Stuffing Alternative!
Instead of serving traditional stuffing for Thanksgiving, try making this recipe instead! If you have a huge crowd and don’t want to do individual Delicata squash boats, try cubing (or buying already cut) butternut squash. Roast it on a pan for about 20 minutes or until tender with a fork, then toss it into a big bowl with the rest of the ingredients. Serve as a hot side dish. Your guests will love it! You can even toss in a few toasted pecans for a little crunch. (Just be sure to include them in your point count if you do this).
This post does contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and/or buy something I may earn a small commission -at no extra cost to you. I only recommend the things I actually use in my kitchen. By clicking and buying these items, you help keep my recipe blog running. Thank you!
Healthy Stuffed Delicata Squash with Spicy Chicken Sausage Recipe
- 3 Delicata acorn or butternut squash
- olive oil spray from Olive Oil Mister
- salt and pepper
- 1 lb chicken sausage if you use my recipe with chicken breast it's 2 points, 4 with chicken thighs, if you buy store bought, it may be different
- 1 large yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 stalks celery finely chopped
- 1/2 lb mushrooms chanterelles, or baby bellas
- 1 T. fresh sage finely chopped
- 1 T. fresh thyme finely chopped
- 4 T. dried cranberries or dried cherries
- 4 T. parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°
- Slice Delicata squash (this one is easier to slice than most of them) in half. Scoop out seeds and pulp.
- Spray with olive oil spray (from Olive Oil Mister). Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place on a baking sheet (I like to line mine with parchment paper for easy clean up) cut side down.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until tender. For different squashes you may need to bake them longer.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, spray non stick skillet with olive oil. Add onions, garlic, celery, mushrooms, sage and thyme. Cook for about 10 minutes. Add chicken sausage and cook, breaking up clumps until done.
- When squash is done baking, turn over, place about 3/4 c. chicken sausage mixture into Delicata shell. Top with 1 T. dried cranberries and 1 T. parmesan cheese. Broil for just a minute or so until cheese is melted. Serve right away.
Also try my Healthy Spicy Turkey Sausage Squash Boats. Similar idea but different filling!