These Spicy Lasagna Appetizers are so easy to make, especially if you have my Spicy Chicken Sausage in the freezer already. I like to make a double batch and freeze some for later. They make a quick appetizer if guests pop in unexpectedly as well as a nice dinner when paired with a salad. Because they are portioned out, you know exactly how many points you are eating. Only 1 smart point each! If you make them in a regular muffin size pan, they work out to be only 2 points each.
This post does contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and/or buy something I may earn a small commission -at no extra cost to you. I only recommend the things I actually use in my kitchen. By clicking and buying these items, you help keep my recipe blog running. Thank you!
Spicy Lasagna Appetizers
- 1 pkg wonton wrappers- the small square ones
- olive oil spray I like to use my Olive Oil Sprayer
- 6 oz. mozzarella shredded
- 1 c. Marinara sauce add link or use a store bought one
- 1/2 lb. my Spicy Chicken Sausage or use a store bought one and add 1 T. of your own seasoning-Italian chipotle, etc
- 3 oz. ricotta cheese part skim
- 6 oz. parmesan cheese shredded
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Spray mini muffin tins with olive oil spray.
- Place a wonton wrapper in each muffin cup. You can trim them to fit exactly in the cup, but I think they look prettier when the points are sticking up, plus it's easier to pick them up. Place a damp paper towel while you're working over the wonton wrappers so they don't dry out.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken sausage. Add marinara sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In each cup place 1 t. mozzarella, then top with 1 rounded t. sauce, 1/2 t. ricotta and 1 t. parmesan. If you are making regular muffin size cups, use 1 T. of mozzarella, 1 T. sauce, 1/2 T. ricotta and 1 T. parmesan.
- Bake in preheated oven for about 10-15 min until cheese is bubbly. Be sure and watch them so the wonton tips do not burn. Allow to cool for a few minutes so they firm up a bit before transferring to a serving plate. Serve immediately or cool then freeze for 20 min on a cookie sheet, then transfer to ziplock bags or plastic containers. To reheat, preheat oven to 350°, thaw them out slightly (while the oven is preheating) and bake on a cookie sheet until cheese is bubbly about 10-15 minutes. Again, be careful to watch so the wonton tips do not burn.
These look great for entertaining! I love that they’re already portioned out so you know how much you’re eating.
Definitely! I often eat a few of them with a salad if I’m home alone for dinner. I love having them in the freezer so if guests come by you have a quick and delicious appetizer.
I made these yesterday with a friend, and they were delicious! The recipe was straight-forward and easy to follow. I had some lean ground turkey I wanted to use up, so I cooked that with some spices and homemade tomato sauce the day before to use in place of the chicken sausage. With that prepped ahead, assembling these lasagna appetizers was a breeze – and lots of fun! We added some vegetables (spinach, peas) to some of them to experiment, and all the variations came out very tasty! We couldn’t stop munching on them. I love that they’re only 1 smart point each! Definitely going to pull this recipe out next time I host a party. I may have to make a batch for the freezer before then, though – these are too good not to have on hand for a quick snack! Definitely one of my new favorite recipes.
So glad you liked them and had fun experimenting with different ingredients!
Wow…these look so tasty and easy to prepare. Super Bowl party here we come. Thanks Amy.
Thanks Joe! Enjoy!!
I made these again recently and they were as tasty as I remembered! My family gobbled them up for dinner. Next time I’ll have to make a double batch!