Granny’s Apples are delicious cooked apples on the stove in a sweet syrupy cinnamon sauce. Just the smell of them evokes the feeling of “home.” This cooked apples recipe isn’t one my normal Gourmet Done Skinny recipes (although healthier than some other recipes) but I’ve wanted to add them to my blog for a while now as they are one of our favorite family traditions around the holidays.
My grandmother always made these apples for me for Thanksgiving and Christmas. (Truth be told, she probably made them for the rest of my family too, but she knew how much I loved them so that’s what I believed.) At Christmas time she would add the cinnamon red hot candies to them so they would be red. A little splurge now and then especially around the holidays is good for the soul!
What apples are best for cooked apples?
Honeycrisp, Jonagold, Pink Lady, Braeburn, Mutsu apples all work well when making cooked apples on the stove. You want an apple that will hold up to cooking and not become mushy.
Granny’s Apples in Pictures:
Peel and cut apples into quarters. Remove seeds by making two diagonal cuts.
Combine sugar and water and bring to a boil.
Add apples, cover and cook slowly until syrup boils. Continue cooking, gently press the apples down occasionally with a spoon until they are tender and transparent looking (about 30 minutes).
Remove from heat and add cinnamon and thin lemon slices if desired.
Serve cooked apples hot or cold. (I actually prefer them cold).
Looking for some healthy Thanksgiving ideas? Check out my Healthy Thanksgiving Menu!
Granny’s Apples – Homemade Cooked Apples
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 quart apples peeled, cored and cut into quarters
- 2 slices Meyer lemon, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Peel and cut apples into quarters. Remove seeds by making two diagonal cuts.
- Combine sugar and water and bring to a boil.
- Add apples, cover and cook slowly until syrup boils.
- Continue cooking gently, press the apples down with a wooden spoon until they are tender and transparent looking (about 30 minutes).
- Add cinnamon and thinly sliced lemon (if desired). Serve hot or cold.