These crispy potatoes (also called cottage fries) with parmesan cheese, bacon, garlic and herbs make an easy no fuss side dish. Use the Instant Pot to cook the potatoes perfectly and finish up the dish using a nonstick skillet . Depending on your main dish, these Instant Pot potatoes will fit easily within your points/calories if you’re careful to limit your serving size.
I originally started making these Instant Pot Crispy Potatoes years ago when I wanted some carbs for my skinny kids. I needed a quick and easy side dish just for them as my husband and I were mainly eating low carb vegetables for side dishes. Over the years, I realized that I could fit these delicious crispy potatoes easily into my food plan as long as I didn’t over do it with the main dish selection.
What are Cottage Fries exactly?
These crispy potato slices are really a version of cottage fries. Cottage fries are one of the many types of cooked potatoes. To make cottage fries – you first you cook them, then cool slightly, slice, then fry. Growing up I remember my grandmother making them. They were such a treat! She didn’t make them that often but when she did she used leftover cooked potatoes.
While doing some research on them, I discovered the origin of their name. They are called “cottage fries,” as they are sliced to resemble roof tiles on cute little houses -like in England and Germany. I don’t really remember our cottage fries being so “perfectly” sliced but ours were more of a combination of crispy potato slices and pieces.
Why use the Instant Pot for Crispy Potatoes/Cottage Fries?
The Instant Pot is a quick way to cook potatoes perfectly – no muss, no fuss. Really only 3 steps!
How to cook potatoes in the pressure cooker:
1. Pressure cook the baby potatoes for 5 minutes on high pressure (sealing). Release pressure immediately.
2. Allow potatoes to cool a bit. Cut them in half with a serrated knife.
3. Fry for a few minutes in a nonstick skillet . Add salt and pepper, bacon, herbs and cheese. That’s it!
What are the best potatoes to use?
Honestly, I just use those baby potatoes because they are so easy and readily available. They are really creamer potatoes meant for mashed potatoes or serving whole. I’m sure the russet potatoes would cut better and give you more “perfectly” shaped cottage fries but I like the convenience of the baby potatoes. And who doesn’t like crispy roasted red potatoes?
You will need to adjust the time in the Instant Pot if you use a different kind or different sized potato other than the baby potato. (Also called “new potatoes.”)
What main dish should I serve with these crispy potatoes?
These potatoes go with pretty much everything but if you’re trying to maintain your weight then it’s best to choose a lower point/calorie main dish. Here are some great suggestions:
Try serving them with Oven Baked Cedar Plank Salmon!
They make a great addition to Even Better Than Granny’s Meatloaf.
Try them with Healthy Instant Pot Pork Chops and Onion Gravy!
Easy Instant Pot Crispy Parmesan Potatoes with Bacon
- 1 1/2 lb. baby potatoes (you can experiment with other types of potatoes and sizes, but you may need to adjust your Instant Pot time)
- 1 c. water
- 1 T. unsalted butter
- 4 T. parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 t. kosher salt or to taste
- 1 t. freshly ground pepper
- 1-2 T. fresh rosemary basil, oregano -optional
- 2 T. bacon crumbles I use the Costco brand - Kirkland Bacon Crumbles
- Place rack in Instant Pot. (The rack that comes with your pot, it keeps the potatoes out of the water).
- Add potatoes and water.
- Set pressure to high (sealing) and time to 5 minutes. When finished, release pressure immediately.
- Allow potatoes to cool for a bit (just so you can handle them), then cut each potato in half.
- In a skillet, melt butter; add potatoes, rosemary, herbs, salt and pepper and sauté until crispy. Add garlic, bacon and cheese; heat until hot.