This savory Creamy Blue Cheese Mushroom Pasta features blue cheese, mushrooms, and bacon all blended together in a creamy low carb, “pasta” dish. By using zoodles (zucchini noodles), you eliminate the calories of traditional pasta. Add some chicken or shrimp to make it an excellent main dish or serve it as a delicious side dish. (updated 5/20/20).
What are Zoodles?
Zoodles are zucchini noodles and a great low carb option to traditional noodles. Because zucchini is mild in taste, it makes a great substitute for pasta.
Where can you buy Zoodles?
Some higher end grocery stores have the zucchini already cut up for you into noodle-like shapes but it’s super easy and much cheaper to do it yourself.
How do you make Zoodles?
Wash and pat zucchini dry. Trim off ends. Use a y peeler to make the strips yourself or one of the spiralizers shown below.
You can choose 3 different shapes with the spiralizer attachment – Tagliatelle, Spaghetti or Fusilli. The zoodles shown here were done with the spaghetti cutter.
Another good spiralizer is the Paderno Spiralizer . It also comes with a few different blades.
After the noodles are cut, blot with paper towels. Lightly salt/season if desired.
How to avoid soggy zucchini noodles:
- After spiralizing or slicing the zucchini, pat the pieces down with paper towel.
- When cooking, do not cover pan with a lid, this will increase the moisture and makes the zoodles soggy.
- Be careful not to overcook the zoodles, only cook for just a few minutes.
- Be sure and cook the zoodles last and then eat the dish right away.
For this pasta dish:
I recommend sautéing the mushrooms, onions, and spices first, then adding the zucchini and the sauce ingredients. See recipe down below for details.
If you already have my Skinny Blue Cheese Dressing made, feel free to substitute a few tablespoons instead of using the blue cheese and vinegar in the recipe.
Creamy Blue Cheese Mushroom Skinny Pasta
- 4 c. coarsely chopped mushrooms about 10 oz
- 1/2 medium red onion
- 3 garlic cloves (2 chopped finely for pasta, 1 minced for sauce)
- 1 t. chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 t. chopped fresh thyme
- 1 t. truffle oil or olive oil
- 1 T. bacon crumbles leave out for vegetarian
- kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 2 zucchini- cut with a spiralizer or y peeler into zoodles
- 3 T. crumbled blue cheese
- 1 t. vinegar I like Champagne vinegar but white wine vinegar works well too
- 2 1/2 T. non fat greek yogurt I use Chobani or Fage
- In a medium nonstick saucepan, heat truffle oil until hot. Add chopped onions. Saute until onions are tender. Add 2 finely chopped garlic cloves. Sauté for a few minutes until garlic starts to brown. Don't let the garlic burn or your dish will taste bitter.
- Add mushrooms, bacon and herbs. Add salt and pepper to taste. Sauté on medium heat until mushrooms are tender. Add zuchinni spirals and cook about 2 min under just tender with a fork. Don't overcook or the zucchini noodles will become mushy. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 1/2 T. yogurt with 3 T. blue cheese and 1 t. vinegar. Add 1 minced garlic clove. Stir well. Add to mushroom and zucchini mixture and stir until evenly distributed. Heat for a few minutes to allow yogurt and cheese mixture to melt. Serve immediately.