For all you mushroom lovers out there, even though this creamless mushroom soup recipe is healthy, it’s still very decadent and filling – so comforting on a cold day. You can eat it chunky, or use an immersion blender to make it creamy- it’s up to you! It’s super easy to make and you can do it on the stove or in the Instant Pot. I’ve included directions for both.
Before creating this healthy mushroom soup recipe, I checked out a few on line to see how many points/calories they had. With the exception of Jamie Oliver’s mushroom soup recipe, (and I’m suspecting it’s more calories and fat than he listed as he didn’t say how much oil he used – other than 2 lugs-how much is a lug?, or counted the truffle oil calories), I was amazed how a simple mushroom soup recipe can have a ton of calories and fat! It’s soup for goodness sake! I checked out a recipe that didn’t even have any cream in it and it was 12 WW points per serving! What the heck? There had to be a healthier yet great tasting low fat mushroom soup! So this was my challenge. But I did it! Here’s how!
Table of contents
- How I lightened up this mushroom soup recipe:
- The results?
- Which method (stove or Instant Pot) is better for making this healthy mushroom soup?
- What types of mushrooms should I use?
- How do I clean mushrooms before cooking? Can I wash them?
- Can you freeze this mushroom soup?
- How to make Hearty Healthy Mushroom Soup in pictures:
How I lightened up this mushroom soup recipe:
- First the cream and butter had to go, they are delicious that’s for sure but the fat content, yikes!
- For added flavor, I fried 2 slices of bacon drained them on a paper towel and reserved 1 T. of the grease. Next I sauteed the onions, garlic and mushrooms in the bacon grease.
- Used my Parmesan Chicken Broth for added flavor (you can also substitute regular chicken broth).
- For a deeper level of flavor, I added 1 T. white truffle oil at the end (you can omit this but it really makes the soup.)
- Added cannellini beans to help give it bulk and a smoother texture if you cream it.
- For more flavor I added a bit of Parmesan on top as a garnish to bring it all together.
Best healthy mushroom soup ever! ( Of course in my opinion). It’s absolutely fantastic! Rich, full of flavor and very filling! Only 4 WW Freestyle Points ! It’s 191 calories per serving and only 7.4 grams of fat compared to 13 grams in some recipes. Make it and tell me what you think!
Which method (stove or Instant Pot) is better for making this healthy mushroom soup?
I have included directions for both making soup on the stove as well as making soup in the Instant Pot. It’s totally up to you! I like both ways. It’s so easy making soup in the Instant Pot but for this recipe, it’s almost just as easy to do it on the stove. Just use a big pot and do everything in it. Let it simmer with a lid partially covering pot on the stove for at least 30 minutes.
What types of mushrooms should I use?
I actually like to use a mixture of Chanterelles, Shitakes, Oysters and Baby Bella mushrooms. Experiment and see what you like!
How do I clean mushrooms before cooking? Can I wash them?
For years I have heard, “Don’t wash mushrooms!” Wipe or brush the dirt away. The reasoning was that mushrooms are porous and will soak up the water and will lose their flavor. However, after doing quite a bit of research, I discovered that’s not really true. Of course there’s still a lot of debate out there, but it’s okay to wash your mushrooms. For more information about this, check out these two articles:
If You’re Still Wiping Mushrooms With a Kitchen Towel, You’re Doing it Wrong
Can you freeze this mushroom soup?
Yes, absolutely! This is a no cream mushroom soup so it freezes well. Freeze it into individual portions and vacuum seal it for another day.
How to make Hearty Healthy Mushroom Soup in pictures:
Fry pieces of bacon in a large pot on stove (or use your Instant Pot on Sauté). Drain bacon on a paper towel and reserve 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease in the pot.
Brown the onions in the bacon grease for about 10 minutes.
Mince the garlic and add to the onions. ( I use a garlic rocker (paid link) to mince).
Add the mushroom pieces and cook for a few minutes.
Add the wine and deglaze the pot by scraping the bottom with a wooden spoon.
Add in the remaining ingredients, except for the truffle oil.
Bring to a boil, then simmer partially covered for about 30 minutes. (If using Instant Pot, set vent to sealing and press the “Soup,” option for 30 minutes. When finished release pressure).
Add in the truffle oil, ladle into bowls and garnish with parsley, thyme and the bacon bits. Freeze any left-overs for another time.
Hearty Healthy Mushroom Soup
- 2 slices center cut bacon diced
- olive oil from olive oil sprayer
- 1 large yellow or sweet onion chopped
- 6 garlic cloves minced
- 2 lbs. mushrooms Chanterelles, oyster, baby bella, chopped in bite size pieces
- 3/4 c. dry wine I used Sauvignon Blanc
- 2 cans cannellini beans drained
- 2 c. Parmesan chicken broth or use regular chicken broth
- 1 1/2 t. kosher salt
- 1/4 t. black pepper
- 1 T. truffle oil use a good quality, I use a white truffle oil from Trio Carmel
- 2 t. fresh thyme plus some for garnish
- 6 t. parmesan grated for garnish ( 1 t. per serving)
- parsley for garnish
- Heat a large stock pot on stove on medium (or use an Instant Pot and press the "Sauté," setting). Add bacon. Cook until bacon is fairly crisp. Remove bacon and drain on paper towels. Reserve 1 T. of bacon grease in the pan (or Instant Pot liner). Discard the remaining grease.
- Add onions and cook in the reserved grease on medium heat for about 10 minutes or on "Sauté," for Instant Pot. Use olive oil sprayer if you need more fat to keep them from burning.
- Add garlic and sauté, for another minute. Add mushrooms, spray a few times with oil sprayer. Continue to cook for a few minutes.
- Add white wine to deglaze the pan. Scrape any brown bits off the bottom of pan.
- Add beans, Parmesan chicken broth, salt, pepper and thyme.
- If using a pot on the stove, bring mixture to a boil, then simmer for 30 minutes with a lid covering the pot, partially. (If using Instant Pot, set valve to "Sealing," and press "Soup," and leave setting at 30 minutes-when done release pressure).
- Add in truffle oil if desired and ladle into bowls, garnish bacon bits, more thyme, parsley and a teaspoon of parmesan cheese.