This Avocado Chile Lime Bowl packs a healthy flavorful punch of goodness with quinoa, pinto beans, fresh vegetables, microgreens, avocado, crunchy pepitas and a drizzle of Guajillo Chile-Lime Vinaigrette. You’re going to absolutely love it!
This may seem like a lot of work for a bowl/salad, however if you have the parts ready, the preparation goes fast. You can use canned pinto beans but I prefer my Spicy Instant Pot Pinto Beans which can be frozen. Also you can cook the quinoa ahead of time, have it on hand frozen in small packs in the freezer.
Inspired by Farmesilla
This healthy quinoa bowl was inspired by Farmesilla, a fabulous market store in Mesilla, New Mexico. They gave us a little sample of their Avocado Chile Lime Quinoa Bowl created by Chef Becky Windels. OMG! It was the best thing I’ve have ever tasted. So fresh, so tangy, so good! I know theirs is better but hopefully mine inspires you to go and try the real one!
Is it a salad or a bowl?
I’m not quite sure what to call it. The version I had at Farmesilla was more of a bowl, but I added the microgreens so it could be also considered a healthy quinoa salad with avocado. It would also be great with some grilled chicken or shrimp. Whatever you call it, it’s delicious!
What is the difference between pepitas and pumpkin seeds?
Well I learned something new when writing this post. I’ve been seasoning and using pepitas since way back when I owned a tea room in California. My little kitchen gal Alexandra showed me how. However, I always thought they were shelled pumpkin seeds. Turns out they are seeds which come from a specific kind of pumpkin and they do not require shelling. Goes to show you can always learn something new!
The cumin topping isn’t necessary but I just love it. Farmesilla topped theirs with a vegan curry mayonnaise but I decided to mix together 1/4 cup of light mayonnaise, 2 teaspoons of cumin and 1 teaspoon of New Mexican Chile powder. Place 1 tablespoon on top of bowl/salad if desired.
How to make Avocado Chile Lime Bowl in pictures:
Cut all the vegetables, save the avocado for last so it doesn’t brown before you serve it.
Place individual bowls on the counter, divide up vegetables, pinto beans, quinoa, avocado and microgreens.
Drizzle with Guajillo Chile Lime Vinaigrette and a dollop of Curry Mayonnaise if desired. Sprinkle with spiced pepitas. Serve immediately.
Healthy Avocado Chile Lime Bowl -with Guajillo Chile-Lime Vinaigrette
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup microgreens
- 1 cup pinto beans (cooked) You can use my Spicy Instant Pot Pinto Beans if you have some frozen in your freezer.
- 1 cup quinoa (cooked)
- 3 green onions, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño, finely chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup corn
- 4 tablespoons crumbed bacon
Optional Curry Mayonnaise Topping
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 teaspoon New Mexican chili powder (optional)
- 8-10 tablespoons Healthy Guajillo Chile Lime Vinaigrette
To Make the Pepitas
- On a baking sheet, add a handful of pepitas (certain type of pumpkin seeds). Spray with olive oil sprayer. Sprinkle with Homemade Chipotle Seasoning or Casa M Chain Reaction Spice, or cumin and a little kosher salt. Broil for about 2-3 minutes, stir halfway through time. Watch so they don't burn! This will make more than you need so store the rest in vacuum sealed bag in the freezer or on the counter in a plastic bag for about a week.
To Make the Bowl/Salad
- Cut all the vegetables, save the avocado for last so it doesn't brown before you serve it.
- Divide up and place in 4 individual bowls: pinto beans, quinoa, cabbage, microgreens, red pepper, corn, green onion, jalapeño, bacon and avocado.
- Drizzle about 2 tablespoons of the Guajillo Chili Lime Vinaigrette over each bowl, top with curry mayonnaise if desired and sprinkle about 1 tablespoon of seasoned pepitas on the top. Serve immediately.