Delicious tender pieces of beef with fresh broccoli. So yummy! This Instant Pot Mongolian Beef and Broccoli is super easy to make and is definitely a family pleaser. It’s made with flank steak, although you could also use top or bottom round steak as well.
I love Instant Pot beef recipes, they turn out so well in no time and are perfectly tender and juicy. With this Instant Pot Mongolian Beef recipe, you can cook it all in one pot -the beef as well as the broccoli.
So much healthier when you make Beef and Broccoli at home!
Because you can control the amount of everything you put in your dish, making Chinese at home instead of ordering take out is so much healthier for you. When you order Mongolian Beef at PF Changs it’s 24 Smart Points, while my version is only 9. Although it does have a fair amount of brown sugar in the recipe, it still is much healthier than the restaurant version. You can definitely cut down on the sugar, (I have definitely made lower sugar versions), but this particular version is my family’s favorite.
How to cut meat against the grain?
With flank steak, it’s pretty easy to tell which way the grain is going. The fibers are quite obvious and go horizontal. Lay out your meat so that it is wider across, then cut the meat vertically into thin strips.
How to make Mongolian Beef in pictures:
Cut the flank steak into pieces.
Add sesame oil to your Instant Pot. Press “Sauté,” and allow pot to heat up. Brown the steak in batches and remove to a separate bowl.
Sauté garlic and ginger for a few seconds. Add a bit more sesame oil if needed.
Add in soy sauce , brown sugar, red pepper flakes and rice wine vinegar and the browned meat.
Cover with lid. Set pressure to high for 5 minutes on sealing. When finished, allow to natural release for 8 minutes, then release pressure.
In a small cup, add cornstarch. Add a few tablespoons of sauce from meat into the cup. Stir well, then add cornstarch mixture back into Instant Pot. Stir. Set Instant Pot to “Sauté,” and cook until mixture starts to boil. Turn off pot.
Add broccoli. Set Instant Pot to high pressure again (sealing) for 1 minute. This will take some time so if you’re in a hurry and don’t mind 2 bowls, you can always microwave or steam the broccoli separately but it’s nice doing it in the Instant Pot so it’s all in one pot. When finished, do quick release.
Serve with rice or cauliflower rice.
Can you substitute chicken to make Mongolian Chicken?
Of course! It’s delicious either way! Try them both! With the chicken, I like to brown the chicken in the sesame oil with the garlic and ginger. Then I add the soy sauce , brown sugar and red pepper flakes. Use high pressure for 5 minutes, then natural release for another 5 minutes. My family prefers the Mongolian Beef version, but I actually prefer the Mongolian Chicken version.
If you like this recipe, be sure and try my easy Instant Pot Bourbon Butternut Chicken.
Instant Pot Mongolian Beef and Broccoli
- Instant Pot
- 2 lbs flank steak
- 1/2 T. salt
- dash of black pepper
- 1 T. sesame oil
- 1/2 T. fresh ginger grated
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2/3 c. brown sugar
- 3/4 c. soy sauce light
- 1-2 T. red pepper flakes optional
- 1 T. rice wine vinegar
- 2 T. cornstarch
- 8 cups fresh broccoli cut into bite-sized pieces
- Cut meat against the grain into small bite-sized pieces. Sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. See notes at the bottom.
- Turn Instant Pot to "Sauté", add sesame oil and heat until hot.
- Add meat in batches and brown. Remove from pot.
- Add garlic and ginger and sauté for about 30 sec.
- Add in soy sauce, brown sugar, red pepper flakes and rice wine vinegar and meat.
- Cover with lid. Set pressure to high for 5 minutes on sealing. When finished, allow to natural release for 8 minutes, then release pressure.
- In a small cup or bowl, add cornstarch. Add a few tablespoons of sauce from meat. Stir well, then add cornstarch mixture to Instant Pot. Stir. Set Instant Pot to "Sauté," and cook until boiling. Turn off pot.
- Add broccoli, stir. Set Instant Pot to high pressure again (sealing) for 1 minute. This will take some time so if you're in a hurry and don't mind 2 bowls, you can always microwave or steam the broccoli separately but it's nice doing it in the Instant Pot so it's all in one pot. When finished, do quick release. Stir and serve with rice or cauliflower rice.