You’re going to love this super easy decadent Instant Pot Beef Carbonnade. “Carbonnade,” means a rich beef stew made with beer and onions -originally a traditional Belgian stew – Carbonnade Flamande. This Flemish Beef Stew Recipe reminds me of all of my years eating delicious food in Germany. So delicious and satisfying. Serve it with zucchini noodles, butternut squash noodles, homemade egg noodles or rice.
Using the Instant Pot for this recipe is critical because it pressurizes the beef so that it comes out juicy and tender every time! And in only 45 minutes!
If you serve it with lots of roasted vegetables and a nice salad, it doesn’t have to be such a calorie laden meal. Just a little bit of this Carbonnade stew goodness will satisfy you immensely! It’s a very popular dish with my family and guests – and did I mention – so easy!!
How to Make Instant Pot Beef Carbonada in Pictures:
Press “Sautè” on Instant Pot, add bacon and cook. Remove bacon to a plate and leave bacon grease in pot. Because you’re using “center cut” bacon there will not be that much grease.
Add onions to the Instant Pot and sauté in the bacon grease until caramelized. Stir often to prevent the onions from burning.
While onions are caramelizing, cut beef into about 2 inch size cubes.
Preheat a non stick skillet on medium high heat. Add beef (in batches) and brown. I like to do this in a skillet on the stove so I can do it the same time as the onions. Plus it’s faster to brown the meat on the stove. Of course, you could brown it in the Instant Pot, remove to a plate and then do the onions.
When onions are finished, add garlic, sautè 1 minute more, then pour in the beer. Let it cook for a minute and then add the remaining ingredients and the browned meat.
Pressure cook on high for 30 minutes with vent sealed. Allow to natural release for at least 15 minutes.
If desired, add egg noodles right into the Instant Pot, cook using the sautè button until noodles float to top. For egg noodle recipe, check out the bottom of this recipe.
If you don’t have my book yet – The Power of Food Prep – check it out on Amazon! Makes a great gift for the holidays or a unique wedding present! Especially when paired with Souper Cubes or an Instant Pot!
Instant Pot Beef Carbonada
- 1 Instant Pot
- 3 1/2 -4 lbs beef chuck shoulder, chopped into 2 inch cubes
- kosher salt
- 3 slices center cut bacon, chopped
- 3 onions, chopped
- 12 oz beer -Belgian, brown ale, or dark – but use what you have if you can't find it, still tastes great!
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon thyme
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon mustard, prepared
- Press "Saute" on Instant Pot, add bacon and cook, remove bacon to a plate and leave bacon grease in pot.
- Add onions and sauté until caramelized.
- While onions are cooking, place a non stick skillet on the stove, heat on high. When hot, add beef cubes, sprinkle with kosher salt and brown. You may need to do this in batches. You can do this in the Instant Pot as well but I feel like it takes more time and you can do it while the onions are caramelizing.
- When onions are almost done, add the minced garlic.
- Add the beer, let it cook for a minute or so to burn off the alcohol.
- Add browned beef, broth, thyme, brown sugar, vinegar, bay leaf and mustard.
- Pressure cook on high for 30 minutes. Allow to natural release for 15 minutes. Serve with rice, cauliflower rice, homemade egg noodles, or zucchini noodles.