This is such an easy, healthy Instant Pot Pulled Pork recipe! You’re going to love it! Slightly spicy, moist, juicy and delicious! Sometimes you just need a quick and easy pork recipe. I created this the week before my trip to China because I needed some quick and easy meals for my son to reheat while I was gone. While it’s similar to my Kalua Pig in simplicity, this one has a totally different flavor.
Of course I think it tastes best with my homemade Instant Pot BBQ Sauce, but if you don’t have time to make that, just grab a bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. If you’re watching calories, look for a low sugar one like Annie’s Original BBQ Sauce.
Why I love this recipe!
For the same reasons I love my Kalua Pig recipe, I love this one because:
- It’s easy to make!
- Everyone loves it! Pleases the picky kids and adults.
- It makes a lot!
- It freezes well!
- You can make it spicy or tone it down.
How can I serve pulled pork?
This recipe is so versatile! The possibilities are endless!
- Serve it alone, with a side dish.
- Try it over salad greens and veggies, add a little of the bbq sauce for the dressing.
- Try it in lettuce wraps with a little bbq sauce drizzled on top.
- Wrap it up in burritos.
- Serve it over rice, or cauliflower rice for a low carb option.
- Pile it on top of cooked spaghetti squash.
How to make Instant Pot Pulled Pork in Pictures – Easy as 1, 2, 3!
1. Trim visible fat on pork, salt, and brown pork on all sides.
2. Sauté the onions and garlic.
3. Add the pork back into the Instant Pot, bbq sauce and the remaining ingredients. Cook for 70 minutes on high pressure. Pour off the juices into a fat separator , shred, add more bbq sauce and serve!
Whole pork shoulder is the best cut of meat for pulled pork. If you can’t find it, use Boston Butt or Picnic Shoulder. If you have to buy it in a huge quantity, measure out 3-5 pounds and freeze them into portions for later.
Definitely! Brown the pork in a skillet first, then add all of the ingredients to the slow cooker or crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Yes you can! I like to use vacuum sealed bags and portion the meat into 1 or 2 cup portions. That way when I need a quick meal for lunch or dinner I have it. I just take out the number of portions I need and thaw.
You trim the visible fat before you cook it. When the pork is done, you then pour all the fat juices into a fat separator . After the fat has separated, pour some of the liquid back into the pot and mix with the homemade low calorie bbq sauce (or store-bought sauce) and serve. Other recipes serve the pork with all of the fat.
Easy Instant Pot BBQ Pork Roast
- 3 lb pork shoulder roast Boston Butt or Picnic Shoulder
- kosher salt
- 12 T. homemade bbq sauce divided (or look for a low sugar one that has little preservatives such as Annie's Original BBQ Sauce, Jack Daniel's Sweet and Spicy Barbecue Sauce or Stubb's Spicy BBQ Sauce . Be sure to check the nutritional label - different variations contain different amounts of sugar.
- 1 medium onion I like to use a sweet yellow or white one for this recipe
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 t. homemade chipotle seasoning or bbq rub seasoning
- 1/2 c. water
- Press, "Sauté," on Instant Pot.
- Trim visible fat from pork shoulder roast. Cut roast into 3 pieces then salt with kosher salt.
- Brown meat on all sides. Remove from Instant Pot and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine onion and garlic. Chop until fine.
- Add onion mixture to Instant Pot and cook for a few minutes. Turn off pot.
- Add in pork pieces, 4 T. of bbq sauce, homemade chipotle seasoning and water.
- Seal vent. Press manual pressure and cook for 70 min.
- Release pressure when done.
- Remove pork, shred with 2 forks.
- Remove liquid and pour into a fat separator.
- Add some of the liquid (without fat) back into Instant Pot, only if needed for moisture. Add shredded pork. Add in the remaining bbq sauce (8 T.)
- Serve with additional bbq sauce if desired.