I’m really a lover of chicken thighs because they are so moist. I’ve been eating them for years. However, when Weight Watchers changed to the Freestyle program this past December and chicken breasts became free points, I decided I needed to figure out how to to love chicken breasts. I think I’ve done it with these Delicious and Moist Instant Pot Chicken.
Why brine the chicken first?
By brining the chicken breasts (or thighs) first, (preferably overnight), then cooking them in the Instant Pot, these breasts remain tender. If you’ve never brined a chicken before, don’t worry! It’s super easy! Basically you just let the chicken, water and salt sit for an amount of time in the refrigerator, then remove from brine and cook in your Instant Pot. That’s it!
Make on Sunday, use all week!
This is one of my Sunday prep meals. It’s super simple and it’s great to have cooked chicken for the week. I also like to vacuum seal it and put in the freezer for later.
What can I do with cooked chicken?
Add the cooked chicken to:
- thin crust pizza
- put over spaghetti squash or butternut squash noodles with a little tomato sauce
The possibilities are endless! You can even freeze the cooked chicken for later!
Delicious and Moist Instant Pot Chicken for Sandwiches, Salads, Etc.
- Instant Pot
- 1 c. kosher salt
- 3 qt. water
- 1 pack of chicken breasts I buy the big pack at Costco, fresh, not frozen about 8 pounds
- 3 c. chicken broth
- 1-2 T. seasoning I like the Cajun seasoning from Costco, but whatever you prefer
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- In a big plastic container with a lid, or bowl mix 3 qts. of water with the salt.
- Add chicken. Cover with lid or plastic wrap.
- Allow to brine overnight or at least 1 hour in the refrigerator. Overnight is best.
Cooking the chicken
- Remove chicken from brine.
- To your Instant Pot, add chicken broth, minced garlic and chicken pieces.
- Push the, "Poultry," setting on the Instant Pot and decrease time to 8 minutes, if it doesn't decrease that low, push, "Manual," or on some models, "Pressure Cook," and set for 8 minutes on high pressure.
- When Instant Pot is done, allow at least 10 minutes before releasing pressure.
- Remove pieces from pot, allow to cool, then chop and freeze and use as needed.