This Creamy Instant Pot 40 Clove Garlic Chicken is comfort food at it’s best! Made with garlic, chicken thighs, mushrooms, sherry, herbs and my parmesan chicken broth , it’s super easy to make and clean up. You can serve it over brown rice, cauliflower rice or it’s even good alone. Leftovers freeze well. The perfect one pot meal!
Are there really 40 cloves of garlic in this recipe?
Yes there really are! You might be worried it will be too garlicky but it isn’t. Garlic mellows when baked or pressure cooked. To make it easier on yourself, (40 cloves is a lot to peel!) try using peeled garlic.
How did 40 Clove Garlic Chicken get its name?
This dish originated in the South of France – Provencal region. James Beard is credited for bringing it to life in the U.S. in the late 1960’s and early 1970’s. The original version includes using pheasant thighs and is slow braised which gives the garlic it’s mellow flavor.
My version is a creamy one pot meal, definitely different from the original version as it’s pressure cooked and not baked. I’ve lightened it up by using skinless, boneless chicken thighs, less oil and made it a quick version by pressure cooking it in the Instant Pot. You can read more about the original recipe.
How to make Creamy Instant Pot 40 Clove Garlic Chicken in pictures:
Gather the ingredients. And yes, you really need 40 cloves of garlic! Use boneless, skinless chicken thighs for best flavor.
Press, “Sauté,” on Instant Pot. Add olive oil and heat until hot. Add chicken about 4 pieces at a time. Sprinkle with kosher salt . Brown for 4-5 minutes, then flip over and do the other side. Do this for all of the chicken and then remove chicken to a plate.
Add onions and brown for a few minutes. Then add garlic. Don’t worry if there’s a lot of brown bits stuck to the pot. We’ll take care of that in the next step.
Add sherry and Parmesan chicken broth. With a wooden spoon, scrape bottom of the pot to deglaze it.
Add the chicken back in, mushrooms, beans, and herbs. Pressure cook on high for 10 minutes. Allow to natural release for 10 minutes.
Open up pot, stir in the light cream cheese. I like to cut mine in cubes to help it melt faster.
Continue stirring until melted. Serve over brown rice or cauliflower rice. You can also thicken this up with a bit of cornstarch if desired. Take a bit of the liquid and put in a small cup. Add 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix, then add back to Instant Pot for a few minutes.
Such a delicious comfort meal! Freeze the leftovers into portions if desired. But you may not have any left!
Creamy Instant Pot 40 Clove Garlic Chicken
- Instant Pot
- 8 chicken thighs -boneless, skinless
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, or use olive oil spray
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 40 cloves garlic I buy peeled garlic at Costco for this, much easier.
- 8 oz fresh mushrooms, chopped (optional)
- 1/4 c sherry
- 1/2 c chicken broth or use my Parmesan Chicken Broth
- 2 sprigs each rosemary and thyme, finely chopped
- 1 15 oz cannellini beans, drained
- 4 oz light cream cheese
- Press, "Saute," add olive oil or spray and heat Instant Pot until hot
- Add 4 chicken thighs, sprinkle with kosher salt and pepper. Brown for about 5 min, then flip over and do other side. Remove chicken to a plate. Do this for the second batch. Remove all chicken.
- Add chopped onions to the Instant Pot, add more oil if needed. Brown onions for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in whole garlic cloves. Cook for another minute.
- Add in sherry and chicken broth. Cook for another minute.
- Add chicken back in, mushrooms, beans and herbs. Press manual and pressure cook chicken mixture on high for 10 minutes. Allow to natural release for 10 min.
- Stir in light cream cheese. Taste and adjust salt, you might need to add some more. You can also thicken this up with a bit of cornstarch if desired. Take a bit of the liquid and put in a small cup. Add 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Mix, then add back to Instant Pot for a few minutes. Serve over cauliflower rice, brown rice or zucchini noodles.