Cozy up to the fire on a cold rainy day with a cup of this delicious Instant Pot Lentil and Bean Chili! Simple, easy to make, yet filling. I love to serve it with my homemade focaccia bread. Because lentil chili is low in calories and points, you can serve it with a few pieces of luscious bread and a salad on the side and still stay within your calorie/point range. Freeze it into small portions for a quick, healthy meal later.
Great to make for a party! Instant Pot Chili appeals to everyone with various diets
This healthy lentil chili recipe is a perfect Instant Pot Chili to serve at a party because it is an Instant Pot Vegan Chili as well as an Instant Pot Vegetarian Chili – so you don’t have to worry about guests with these special diets not being able to eat it. Be sure to have a variety of toppings available such as green onion, cilantro, avocado, sour cream, cheese etc. and allow guests to personalize their bowls by choosing their own toppings. You can always serve chicken or beef as a topping if you want to add meat to the chili.
Which type of lentils should I use?
There are many types of lentils. Which ones should you use? For this recipe brown or green lentils work great, but if you can find black lentils, those have the best taste. Check out this article for more information about the different types.
Do you need to soak the lentils before pressure cooking?
No need to soak the beans or lentils first! Because you are using high pressure with the Instant Pot, the lentils and dry beans cook fast. Be sure and used the correct amount of liquids listed in the recipe. The lentils and the black beans soak up a large majority of the liquid while cooking.
How do you cook lentils in the Instant Pot?
For this recipe, there’s nothing special about cooking them. You just put them in the pot with the rest of the ingredients. By using the high pressure feature on the Instant Pot, the lentils cook fast! If you were to do it on the stove, it would take much longer and you would need to soak the beans overnight.
How long does it take to cook lentils in the Instant Pot?
Not long! Only 30 minutes from when the Instant Pot begins to pressurize.
Feel free to adjust the seasonings!
Everyone has their own special chili recipe. Feel free to make this recipe your own by adjusting the seasonings. I love to use my homemade chipotle seasoning in this but for some people it’s too spicy. So if you’re not into spice, just omit it.
Can you freeze Lentil Chili?
How to make Healthy Black Bean and Lentil Chili in pictures:
Rinse lentils and beans.
Press, “Sauté,” on Instant Pot . Spray liner with olive oil from oil mister .
Add onions and sauté until soft. Add garlic and sauté a few minutes more. Do not let garlic burn. Turn off Instant Pot.
Add remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot (except for toppings). Stir. Cover with lid and make sure vent is set to sealing.
Press “Soup,” and cook 30 minutes. Release pressure. Taste and adjust spices if necessary.
Serve with toppings, allowing guests to add their own to toppings to their chili.
Instant Pot Lentil and Bean Chili
- 2 cups lentils, rinsed and sorted – brown or green lentils work well
- 1 large onion – red or yellow finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 cups vegetable broth (you can also use chicken)
- 2 cups dry black beans (you can also use 2 cans of black beans, rinsed and drained)
- 2 large peppers, red or yellow, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 can (8 oz) tomato sauce or Marinara sauce or homemade sauce
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 12 oz beer (I like using a dark beer such as a Porter)
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- .25 tsp homemade Chipotle Seasoning (optional)
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 0.5 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1.5 tsp Kosher salt
Toppings (optional, points not included)
- 3 tbsp cilantro, finely chopped
- light sour cream
- shredded reduced fat or regular cheddar cheese
- avocado, chopped
- green onions, finely chopped
- crumbled bacon (if not serving vegan or vegetarian)
- Rinse lentils and beans.
- Add onions and sauté until soft. Add garlic and sauté a few minutes more. Do not let garlic burn.
- Turn off Instant Pot.
- Add remaining ingredients to the Instant Pot (except for toppings). Stir. Cover with lid and make sure vent is set to sealing.
- Press “Soup,” and cook 30 minutes. Release pressure. Taste and adjust spices if necessary.
- Serve with toppings, allowing guests to choose their own to top their chili.