After my last trip to Germany, I came back inspired to make Jagerschnitzel in a healthy way. I decided to call it Instant Pot Pork in Creamy Mushroom Sauce. I didn’t want to call it officially, “Jagerschnitzel,” as it isn’t as rich as the German version. Normally the pork is breaded with bread crumbs and egg or flour and egg, but since I’m trying to keep the points down, I decided to cut this part out. Because it’s done in the Instant Pot, the pork turns out very tender and juicy. Use thin pork chops and trim the fat.
Instant Pot Pork in Creamy Mushroom Sauce
- 18 oz boneless thin pork chops fat trimmed
- 1 t. butter
- 1 t. oil
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 3 T. crumbled bacon I use the Kirkland one from Costco
- 16 oz. mushrooms sliced or 1 large russet potato,diced
- 1 c. red wine
- 1 c. water
- 1 T. Better than Bouillon Beef
- 1 T. paprika Hungarian or sweet
- 1/4 t. thyme
- kosher salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- 1 T. flour
- 1 T. cornstarch
- 1/4 c. light sour cream
- Trim the pork chops and season both sides with kosher salt and black pepper. If you have thicker pork chops, slice carefully to make thin chops about 1/4 inch thick.
- Turn the Instant Pot on to Saute and add oil and butter.
- When hot, add pork pieces and brown on both sides. You may have to do this in batches. Remove pork and transfer to a plate.
- Add onions, garlic and bacon. Saute until brown. You may need to spray a bit of oil in pot to keep onions from burning. Don't worry if onions stick a bit, we'll be deglazing in a bit.
- Add 1 T. flour and stir until a "roux," is formed.
- Add a splash of the red wine to deglaze the pot. Scrape any bits of flour, onion, meat off the bottom of pot.
- Add remaining wine and water. Turn off Instant Pot. Add Better than Bouillon, paprika, thyme, 1 t. kosher salt.
- Add sliced mushrooms.
- Add browned pork.
- Place lid on pot, lock and close to the sealing position. Push, "Manual," or on some models, "Pressure Cook," on high pressure for 10 min.
- Allow to sit about 10 minutes after finished cooking, then release pressure.
- Remove about 1/2 c. liquid and add 1 T. cornstarch. Mix well with a whisk then add mixture back into pot.
- Push Saute button and allow mixture to thicken. Turn off Instant Pot. Stir in sour cream. Serve over zucchini noodles or rice.