This thick, tangy lime curd is easy to make and turns out great every time. Make it in the microwave in just minutes. It will thicken up as it cools. It’s great as a topper or sauce for my Amy’s Cheesecake, Homemade Cranberry Orange Scones and Mini Strawberry Scones. It also makes cute little tartlet desserts and more! This is the recipe that I served at my tea room, Afternoon to Remember for many years.
Lemon curd dates back to the 1800’s. Originally it was literally lemon juice added to cream to form curds. You can read more about the history of lemon curd.
Can you really make lime curd in the microwave?
Yes, really! The traditional way to make fruit curd is on the stove, but doing it in the microwave is super easy. You can also substitute lemon juice for the lime to make lemon curd.
Is this lime curd healthy?
No unfortunately this lime curd recipe is not skinny- thus the reason it is in my “Not so skinny, ” section. I created a post about it because I wanted you to have the recipe if you make my Amy’s Cheesecake, they go great together. A little indulgence every now and then isn’t a bad thing. At least you know the points/calories so can plan for it.
How to make microwave lime or lemon curd in pictures:
Beat eggs with a hand mixer until frothy. Add in melted butter, sugar and lime/lemon juice.
Microwave for 3 minutes.
Beat again with mixture until smooth. Microwave for another 3 minutes and beat again until smooth.
Pour the curd into a container and store in the refrigerator. Serve when thickened and cool. Keeps for about 2 weeks.
Serve this lime or lemon curd with my Mini Strawberry Scones!
Also goes great with my Homemade Cranberry Orange Scones!
Afternoon to Remember Microwave Lime Curd
- 1/2 c. butter unsalted
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1/2 c. lime juice - use concentrate for this one fresh doesn't actually have enough flavor
- 3 eggs
- Melt the butter in the microwave for 1 minute.
- In a large glass bowl (not metal) beat eggs with a hand mixer until frothy.
- Add in melted butter, sugar and lemon juice. Mix again.
- Microwave on high for 3 minutes.
- Beat again with mixer until smooth and then microwave again for another 3 minutes. Beat again until smooth.
- Cover with plastic wrap and put in the refrigerator until set. It will thicken as it cools. This lemon curd will keep about 2 weeks in the refrigerator. Serve with scones or my famous cheesecake. Makes about 1 cup of curd.