These Instant Pot Shredded Buffalo Chicken Bowls are super easy to make, so delicious and addictive! Spicy, tangy, and salty incorporated into a healthy bowl with a bit of freshness from the cabbage and vegetables. You can also serve the leftover shredded buffalo chicken in wraps, on slider buns, tacos and more!
Make it ahead of time!
This Buffalo Chicken Recipe is also great to make ahead and have on hand in the fridge for a few days or store in your freezer. When ready to make the bowls, just thaw the buffalo chicken mixture, reheat and make the bowls. Fast and easy!
Serve it over rice or pasta for the kids!
Use it as a dip!
You can also use this recipe as a Buffalo Chicken Dip. Make it up in the Instant Pot and serve with crackers, vegetables-such as carrots, celery, and jicama.
Instead of a cabbage base, try it over:
- zucchini noodles (Zoodles)
- butternut squash noodles
How to make shredded buffalo chicken in pictures:
Spray Instant Pot with olive oil spray . Press, “Sauté.” When hot, add chopped onions and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until soft.
Add the Star of the Show –Frank’s Red Hot Sauce , spices, chicken and butter. Try to get the chicken down into the liquid. Pressure cook on high for 9 minutes with the seal on, allow to natural release for at least 5 minutes. Then release.
Remove chicken and shred with fork. To the sauce, add shredded cheese, and cream cheese chunks. Stir until melted. If it doesn’t melt completely, turn Instant Pot back on, “Sauté,” and heat until melted. Add chicken back into sauce.
How to put together the Instant Pot Buffalo Chicken Bowls:
For each bowl- add:
- 1 c. shredded cabbage
- 1/4 c. shredded carrots
- 1/4 portion of the chopped celery
- 3/4 c. buffalo chicken mixture
- garnish with chopped green onion
- 1 T. blue cheese crumbles (optional)
Instant Pot Shredded Buffalo Chicken Bowls
- 3 lbs. chicken -boneless skinless, thighs or breasts
- 4 oz light cream cheese 1/3 less fat, cut into chunks
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- olive oil spray
- 1/2-3/4 c. Frank's Red Hot Sauce see notes at bottom of recipe
- 1/4 c. chicken broth or water see notes at bottom of recipe
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 t. smoked paprika
- 2 T. unsalted butter
- 1 c. cheddar cheese shredded
- 2 c. carrots chopped
- 1 rib of celery chopped
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 8-10 c. cabbage - red napa or mixed, chopped
- few tablespoons of blue cheese crumbles optional, points/calories not included
- Trim off visible fat from chicken thighs. Don't worry if you don't get it all, just the easy stuff.
- Spray Instant Pot with olive oil spray. Press, "Sauté." When hot, add chopped onions and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes until onions are soft and starting to brown.
- Add the Frank's Red Hot Sauce, broth or water if using it (make sure you have at least 3/4 c. liquid total in Instant Pot), cayenne pepper, smoked paprika, chicken and butter. Stir well and try to get the chicken down into the liquid.
- Press, "Manual or Pressure," and cook on high for 9 minutes with the seal on. Allow to natural release for at least 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken with slotted spoon and shred pieces with 2 forks.
- To the sauce, add shredded cheese, and cream cheese chunks. Stir until melted. If it doesn't melt completely, turn Instant Pot back on, "Sauté," and heat until melted. Add chicken back into sauce.
- Prepare the bowls. For each bowl add: 1 c. shredded cabbage, 3/4 c. buffalo chicken with some sauce, 1/4 c. shredded carrots, celery, green onions, and blue cheese if desired. Enjoy!
For more Instant Pot Bowl Recipes:
If you like this recipe, you’ll probably love my Instant Pot Korean Beef Over Shredded Kale.