I love these Crustless Chipotle Egg Cups (or as some people call them breakfast egg muffin cups). They are my “go to” for an easy meal prep breakfast. You can make a batch in under an hour, freeze them for later and have a quick breakfast for 24 days! I eat one for breakfast with a banana and a hot cup of tea. I even take them in a cooler frozen when traveling.
Previously published on March 13, 2018, updated with new pictures and information.
Quick easy breakfast in 1 1/2 min! Low in WW Points
Of course these healthy breakfast egg cups with ham are best in my opinion right out of the oven but they still are delicious reheated for a quick breakfast. Just pop them into the microwave for about 1 1/2 minutes. Serve one with a bowl of fresh fruit and you have a delicious and filling breakfast. Only 1 Smart Point per cup with the Freestyle Weight Watcher Plan! If you want to shave off more calories, just leave out the cheese, ham or bacon. I tend to like a lot of protein in mine and since I only eat one for breakfast, 101 calories per cup is fine for me.
Add in your own ingredients!
Make it your own by adding other ingredients such as spinach, red pepper, broccoli, chives – whatever you desire! You can switch up the cheese as well. Try to stick to the same amount though if you’re looking to keep the calories down. My favorite ones are by far- the egg cups with ham. I’ll add other things but I have to have the ham!
This post does contain affiliate links which means that if you click on them and/or buy something I may earn a small commission -at no extra cost to you. I only recommend the things I actually use in my kitchen. By clicking and buying these items, you help keep my recipe blog running. Thank you!
FAQ About Healthy Breakfast Egg Muffin Cups:
Yes, these definitely make a great meal prep egg breakfast! Make a batch and have breakfast for 24 days or make a double batch and you’ll be set for a long time!
I find that if you use cupcake lines, they stick. The best way to make these egg cups is to use Silicone Muffin Cups (paid link) and spray them heavily with a non-stick cooking spray (paid link). I usually like to use my oil mister (paid link) but in this case, it’s better to use non-stick cooking spray (paid link) as they will stick.
Allow them to cool (take them out of silicone muffin cups (paid link)) on a baking sheet (paid link) lined with parchment paper (paid link). Then “flash freeze,” in freezer until frozen. Remove and transfer to vacuum sealed bags (paid link) or plastic bags.
How to Make Chipotle Egg Cups in Pictures:
Combine garlic, onion, ham and jalapeño in a food processor (paid link). Pulse until finely chopped.
In a mixing bowl, (mine is the Nutrimill Artiste Mixer (paid link) – love that one!), combine eggs, bacon, ham mixture, salt, pepper and homemade chipotle seasoning (paid link).
Spray silicone muffin cups (paid link) with cooking spray. In this case I don’t recommend the olive oil mister (paid link). The non-stick cooking spray (paid link) does the best job to prevent the egg cups from sticking.
Scoop about 1/4 c. of egg mixture into each cup. Try a get a little of the “good stuff,” at the bottom of the bowl for each egg cup. Distribute the shredded cheese evenly over each cup.
Bake in a preheat 350° oven for 18-30 minutes. All ovens are different, mine takes about 18 minutes because it’s convection but my parent’s oven takes about 25. Just watch and bake until set.
Allow egg cups to cool for about 5 minutes. Set a timer. Then remove by sliding a knife around the egg and using a fork to lift out the cup.
Allow to cool, then flash freeze on a baking sheet (paid link) lined with parchment paper (paid link) until solid.
Store in vacuum sealed bags (paid link) in the freezer.
When ready to eat, microwave for about 1 minute and serve with a side of fruit. Enjoy your breakfast on the go!
On the Go! Crustless Chipotle Egg Cups
- 20 whole eggs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 c. onion
- 6 oz ham
- 1/2 jalapeño
- 1/2 t. kosher salt
- black pepper to taste
- 12 T. crumbled bacon I like to use the Kirkland brand from Costco
- 1 T. Chipotle Seasoning or use whatever you like
- 4 oz reduced cheddar shredded (about 1 cup shredded)
- non-stick cooking spray on this one use Pam or I use the Kirkland brand - not the olive oil spray from mister-see notes
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray silicone muffin cups (2 sets of 12) with cooking spray and place cups on a cookie sheet.
- In a food processor (or chop by hand), combine: garlic, onion, ham and jalapeño. Lightly pulse until finely chopped.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix eggs, salt and pepper, chipotle seasoning and bacon. I like to use my Nutrimill Artiste Mixer.
- Scoop about 1/4 c. of egg mixture into each cup. Try a get a little of the "good stuff," at the bottom of the bowl for each egg cup. Distribute the shredded cheese evenly over each cup.
- Bake 18-30 min until set. You don't want them overdone. Every oven is different. If you use a convection oven, bake time is about 18 min, where as a regular oven may take up to 30 min. Take them out when they don't, "jiggle," when you gently shake the pan.
- Allow egg cups to sit 5 minutes before removing them to platter.
- Carefully remove each egg cup with two forks on either side, or sometimes I run a knife around each up before I pull them out. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- When cool, transfer to a cookie sheet and place in the freezer. Flash freeze for at least 10-20 min then put into vacuum sealed bags.
- When ready to eat, place egg cup on a plate and microwave for about 1 minute 15 seconds. Or if you have time reheat in toaster oven until warm.
These look great for a high protein breakfast or snack on the go!
Yep! They are! My dad loves them so much! He previously didn’t cook much (he grills) but he loved these so much that he bought the silicone muffin pans and makes them regularly for himself and freezes them for his breakfasts.
Super easy and great to have for a fast breakfast. I did not get to try it frozen though the other person in my house ate more to them than I expected!
Thanks for the comments Anna! Sorry you didn’t get to freeze a few for later. I find that I have that problem as well when I hace guests, I only eat one but my guests may eat 3. Maybe next time!
Very easy to make and I love that I can make 24 at a time! The chipotle is key. It really makes them very flavorful!
Glad you liked them!
These are absolutely delicious!! I make 24 at a time & freeze. Pop in microwave & off in my ‘office’ (Yukon SUV) to work. Perfect to eat on the road. Thank you Amy & Pat for all your hard work!! Doing a great service for all of us ‘in a rut’ cooks making cooking & eating fun again!!!?
Do you thaw before heating in microwave?
No, just pop it in the microwave and heat about 90 seconds. Try maybe 60 seconds first and then go from there. Every microwave is a bit different and I don’t like them over cooked.