Years ago Cooking Light had a recipe for Jamaican Banana Bread. It was so delicious! I made it all the time. When I owned my tea room Afternoon to Remember in California we were famous for our Jamaican Banana Scones, an idea I came up with based on that banana bread. Now that I’m a Weight Watcher, I created a healthy low point Jamaican Banana Bread Mini Muffin recipe (which you can also freeze) to control your portion size. The topping is what makes them special and unique but they are good without the topping as well. Interestingly enough because I cut out some of the butter on the topping, it’s the same amount of Freestyle Smart Points with or without the topping. 2 Smart Points per mini muffin.
Jamaican Banana Bread Mini Muffin Recipe
- 2 T. brown sugar
- 1 T. butter
- 2 T. fresh lime juice You will use about 2 limes in this recipe, some for zest and some for topping and batter
- 1/2 T. rum
- 1 t. lime zest
- 2 T. sweetened coconut
- 2 T. chopped pecans
- 4 ripe bananas mashed
- 1 1/4 c. flour
- 3/4 t. baking soda
- 1/4 t. salt
- 1 t. cinnamon
- 1/2 T. lime zest
- 2 T. butter softened
- 1/2 c. light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 t. vanilla extract
- 1 T. rum
- 1/4 c. unsweetened apple sauce
- cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°. If you have a convection oven, use this setting.
- Grease 36 non-stick mini muffin tins with cooking spray. Or bake them in batches, be sure to grease each time you use the pan.
- In a small bowl, mash the bananas. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, zest and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar with a wooden spoon. (Not enough batter to drag out the mixer). Add eggs, vanilla, rum, apple sauce and bananas.
- Add flour mixture and combine just until mixed. Do not over-mix.
- With a tablespoon (or I use a small ice cream scoop), drop about 3/4 T. of banana mixture into the muffin tins until 3/4 full.
- Bake for about 10-13 minutes until done and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for about 3-5 minutes. Then transfer to a wire rack.
- Mix topping ingredients together. Microwave just until butter is melted. Stir well.
- Drizzle topping over warm muffins.