These delicious homemade OMG melt in your mouth pepperoni rolls make the best appetizers or even a delicious dinner along with a side salad. Dip them into ranch dressing and marinara sauce for the ultimate bite. They actually aren’t hard to make and can be super quick to put together if you already have the dough made. I suggest using my homemade thin crust pizza dough but you could also substitute any pizza dough (you can often find ready made dough at higher end grocery stores in the pre-made section).
My homemade pepperoni roll recipe was inspired by the Kona Brewing Company in Oahu. Their pepperoni rolls and a nice cold beer are the best reward after a long day of hiking. I think their rolls are probably quite a few more points/calories than mine, however.
What are pepperoni rolls exactly?
Pepperoni rolls are just really pizza dough layered with two kinds of sauce, pepperoni and cheese. These appetizers are made by first rolling out pizza dough. Next spread a layer of Ranch dressing, then marinara sauce, Finally add pepperoni and cheese and roll them up like a cinnamon roll dough, slice and bake until done. Delicious homemade pizza in a roll!
Can you freeze these pepperoni rolls?
Yes, you can definitely freeze them. I suggest you bake them first, flash freeze on a baking sheet , then seal in vacuum sealed bags . When you’re ready to eat them, just put them in foil and and reheat at 350° until hot (about 15 minutes or so).
West Virginia Pepperoni Rolls
There are many versions of the pepperoni roll such as the original version -the stuffed bread/turnover type. The famous West Virginia rolls date back to 1927. Originally they were made for the coal miners as they didn’t need to be refrigerated and could be readily packed for lunch.
How to make Pepperoni Rolls in pictures:
Roll out pizza dough into a rectangle about 12 x 15 inches.
Spread ranch dressing over the dough, then marinara sauce.
Add pepperoni, then cheese.
Roll up the pepperoni dough carefully. Pinch together edge and overlap to form a seam.
Cut each roll into 15 slices. Place each slice on a piece of pepperoni on a baking sheet lined with parchment.
Bake at 350° about 12-15 minutes or until done.
Pepperoni Rolls - Kona Style!
- 1 batch of Easy Homemade Thin Crust Pizza Dough ready to make into pizza all rising time is finished - divide into 2 balls instead of 8 or use store bought pizza dough (about 2 pounds dough)
- 1/2 c. marinara sauce some for the rolls, some for dipping
- 1/2 c. light sour cream also some for the rolls, some for dipping
- 2 T. Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing and Seasoning Mix or 1 packet of Hidden Valley Ranch
- 8 oz. turkey pepperoni slices - save out 30 slices to use on the bottoms of the rolls chop the rest into small pieces (or you can use regular pepperoni for 4 points each)
- 1 c. mozzarella cheese shredded
- 6 T. parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Mix together light sour cream and ranch dressing mix. Store in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Divide dough into 2 equal balls (about 1 lb each). Roll each one out into a rectangle about 12 x 15 inches.
- On each rectangle, spread about 2 T. ranch dressing - all the way to the edges. Top and spread with 2 T. marinara sauce. (You might be tempted to use more sauce, but don't, it makes a mess when cutting the slices). Sprinkle with pepperoni and mozzarella cheese.
- Roll up each rectangle so that it forms a long roll (like rolling cinnamon roll dough). Pinch the edge of dough together to form a seam.
- Carefully cut each roll into 15 slices. Place each slice on a pepperoni piece (the roll will be bigger than the pepperoni, that's ok). Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
- Bake on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper for 12-15 minutes or until done.