Some of you may not know that I owned a tea room and tea company (Afternoon to Remember) for 14 years. During that time I made a million scones, all different varieties. You can find the recipes in my various tea room cookbooks and I even have an e Book- The Scone Recipe Collection (digital, pdf).
Not long ago I came across a bakery with Jalapeño Scones. Why in the world didn’t I ever think of that combination before? I have lots of fruit scone recipes, cheddar scones and savory ham and rosemary scones, but I never thought about doing Jalapeño Scones. What a great idea!
Of course as with anything I do, I have to add my own touches so with these Jalapeño Scones I added bacon, garlic and even a teaspoon of my Chipotle Seasoning.
So here’s the recipe! I’m not including them in my “Not so skinny,” category because when you make them mini size they come out to be 3 Freestyle Smart Points each -and that’s not bad. I’m learning that I don’t need to eat huge portions anymore, one small scone is perfect. You can freeze the rest if you need to avoid the temptation of eating them all. Having them in the freezer, ready to go is great too as it’s a nice little treat with a salad, chili or soup. I love Weight Watchers! I’m able to eat a little goodness without sacrificing taste. You don’t have to say no to butter! You just can’t eat a lot of it, but it’s not totally forbidden either. Moderation is the key!
Be sure and read my note in the recipe about adding the buttermilk. You don’t want to add it all at once.
Lining your baking sheets with parchment paper makes baking scones easy!
Delicious! And you can freeze them and reheat to serve with salad, chili and soup.
Homemade Jalapeño Bacon Cheddar Mini Scones
- 3 c. all purpose flour or if you have self-rising flour use that and skip the baking powder and salt plus an extra 1/4 c. for hands and cutting board
- 1 1/2 T. baking powder
- 1 t. Chipotle Seasoning
- 3/4 t. salt
- 1/2 t. black pepper
- 8 T. unsalted butter cold
- 1/2 c. sharp cheddar shredded
- 1/2 c. jalapeños chopped (about 3 jalapeños)
- 12 T. crumbled bacon I like to use the Costco Kirkland bacon crumbles
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 c. low fat buttermilk divided
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl combine: 3 c. flour (lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cup, do not pack), baking powder, Chipotle seasoning, salt, and pepper.
- Cut butter into small cubes. Add to flour mixture. Cut in with a fork or pastry blender.
- Add cheese, jalapeños, bacon and garlic. Mix well.
- Add 1 c. buttermilk, lightly fold until most of buttermilk is absorbed. You don't want to stir hard, just lightly keep folding over, otherwise the scones will be tough.
- Scoop off about 1 c. dough-the part that is well moistened. I actually place the moistened dough in a dry measuring cup. Lightly flour your hands and board. Dump the 1 c. of dough into your hands and make a ball. You will probably have to push the dough together to keep it from falling apart. Lightly press ball down on a floured board until you have a round disc about 5 inches in diameter. Round the edges with your hands. Cut the disc into 8 pie shaped pieces.
- Carefully transfer each scone onto a parchment lined baking sheet. Allow a few inches in between scones. Do this for rest of dough adding the remaining 1/2 c. buttermilk to moisten the flour mixture at the bottom of bowl. See note at bottom.
- Bake at preheated 400° for about 8 minutes. These do not get very brown.
- Allow to cool on baking sheet. Eat some and freeze rest for another time.