Air Fryer Chicken Tapenade Egg Rolls are crispy on the outside with tender savory black olive tapenade filling on the inside. They are super easy to make and you fry them in your air fryer -or bake them in your oven (see notes in recipe for oven directions). So delicious and so much healthier for you than traditional frying! Eat them by themselves or dip them in a good quality balsamic vinegar.
These healthy homemade chicken egg rolls were inspired by my recent trip to Salt Lake City, Utah for the Everything Food Conference. I was so excited to be part of a dinner put on by California Ripe Olives held at a restaurant called Table X. It was amazing with olives in every course! I enjoyed hearing the story of black olives and the California history of olives so much that I came home inspired to create a recipe using black olives. Though these egg rolls are stuffed with a non traditional egg roll filling, believe me, you’ll love this unique savory version!
Our California Ripe Olive Dinner Around Town started with the California Ripe Olive Amuse Bouche – stuffed blue cheese olive in a savory puff bread.
Next came the bread and salad. The California Ripe Olive Sourdough bread in the background was so hearty and delicious. We had other olive dishes as well including an olive oil cake and ice cream but the housemade burrata with Puffed California Ripe Olive Cracker, Citrus Roasted California Ripe Olives and Farm Greens was my absolute favorite of the evening!
At the dinner I was fortunate to meet a family of olive growers from Corning, California – The Curiel Family. I met Ed, Laura and Nicky – their daughter who is studying at UC Davis. I loved hearing their stories of olive farming and how they described olive harvest as something magical. It reminded me so much of all of my experiences with tea in India. So guess what? I’m traveling there to Corning, California in September with my youngest son to see the olive harvest. I can hardly wait!
I’ll be writing more about California Ripe Olives in the future after my trip but for now be sure and check out their website. You can read the stories of the growers, find more recipes and watch a video of how California ripe olives came to be. Very fascinating! Surprisingly, black olives are pretty low in calories. I’m amazed! And check out my Chicken Black Olive Tapenade Egg Rolls -recipe down below. You’ll love these delicious appetizers! Or eat two egg rolls with a salad for a complete meal!
How to Make Homemade Egg Rolls in Pictures:
Check out the size difference between wonton wrappers (at the top) and egg roll wrappers (middle and bottom).
You can use either wrappers for this recipe. I prefer using the larger ones – the egg roll size because they roll fast and stay together better. If you use the won ton size, keep in mind, it will take longer to roll them because they are smaller and there are more of them. Also use more water around the edges to seal the wontons as well. Be sure to watch them in the fryer, you may need to adjust the frying time as well.
California black olives, Piquillo peppers (or you can use roasted red peppers), and capers as well as fresh herbs make up this delicious black olive tapenade.
Use a food processor to chop and combine the ingredients for the black olive tapenade. It’s so much easier and faster than doing all of that chopping by hand.
Cook the chicken in a non-stick pan. You can use breast pieces or thighs. For this recipe, chicken breasts are totally fine.
Combine egg roll ingredients and you’re ready to roll! Or wrap!
How to Fold and Air Fry Egg Rolls
Time needed: 30 minutes.
How to fold egg rolls.
- Preheat your airfryer to 425°. I use the Breville Smart Oven Air , if you have a different air fryer, you may want to use a lower temperature and start with 395°. Air fryers are all different so you may need to experiment a bit first. Just fry a small batch at first to see what works best.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a cutting board or flat surface with one of the points facing you. Add about 1/4 c. filling.
- Roll up about 1/2 halfway.
- Fold edges in. Dab top point with water.
- Finish rolling up and lay on an air fryer basket sprayed with oil. Spray egg rolls with oil.
- Air fry until brown and crispy. I use the Breville Smart Oven Air so I don’t need to turn them. They take about 11 minutes. If you have a different air fryer, turn them halfway through.
- Enjoy! These Chicken Tapenade Egg Rolls are great dipped in a good quality balsamic vinegar if desired.
Frequently Asked Questions about Egg Rolls:
These egg rolls are definitely healthier for you as they are made with chicken breasts and are fried in the air fryer or baked in the oven. You can eliminate the cheese in the recipe if you are looking to shave off more calories. As the recipe is written, these egg rolls have 4 Freestyle Smart Points per egg roll, which is pretty good considering the size.
Yes, you can freeze egg rolls. The texture tends to be different when you freeze them, however. Of course they are best when made up, fried and eaten right away.
To freeze already cooked egg rolls: My favorite way to freeze them is to freeze them already cooked. Allow them to cool, then put them on a baking sheet and “flash freeze” them until solid. Then transfer to plastic bags. When ready to reheat, place them frozen on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper in a preheated oven at 350° for about 15-20 minutes until thoroughly heated.
To freeze uncooked egg rolls: You can freeze them (raw) before frying, but definitely flash freeze them until solid on a baking sheet lined with parchment separately so they don’t stick together. When ready to eat them, allow the egg rolls to come to room temperature before frying them.
Yes, store them in a plastic bag, but try to use them within a day or two.
Yes, store them also in a plastic bag. Use them within 4 days. You can reheat them by baking them in the oven at 350° until hot or microwave until hot and refry in air fryer or broil for a minute or so in oven to crisp them up again.
Air Fryer Chicken Tapenade Egg Rolls
- 1 1/2 lb. chicken thighs or breasts cut in cubes
- 1 6 oz can California black olives drained
- 4-6 piquillo peppers or roasted red peppers in water, drained
- 1 can artichokes in water drained
- 1 T. capers drained and rinsed
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 T. fresh basil
- 1 T. fresh lemon thyme or regular thyme
- 1 T. fresh oregano
- 1 T. extra virgin olive oil use a good quality one
- 3 green onions
- 2 T. olive oil mayonnaise
- 1 c. part skim mozzarella cheese shredded
- 1/2 c. parmesan cheese grated
- In a food processor, lightly pulse until chopped: black olives, peppers, artichokes, capers, garlic, basil, thyme and oregano. Add salt to taste.
- With food processor on, gradually add oil. Pulse lightly.
- Rinse and chop green onions (not too fine).
- Cut chicken into bite-size pieces, trim fat if using thighs.
- Spray a non-stick skillet with oil from oil sprayer. Heat on medium high heat.
- Add chicken pieces, sprinkle with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. Cook until done, mostly no longer pink about 165°. Drain well.
- In a large bowl, combine, chicken, olive mixture, mayonnaise, green onions, and cheeses.
- Preheat air fryer to 425° if you have a Breville Smart Oven Air. If you have a different fryer, start with 395°, fry a small batch and see how that works. If you want to bake them in the oven, see notes below.
- Place an egg roll wrapper on a cutting board or flat surface with one of the points facing you. (Refer to pictures in post to see how to roll/wrap them.)
- Add about 1/4 cup of chicken mixture.
- Roll up about 1/2 halfway, fold edges in.
- Place a dab of water on the top point. Finish rolling up egg roll. Dab a little water on the outside point so that it sticks to the egg roll.
- Spray air fry basket with oil. Place egg rolls in basket, spray with oil, turn over and spray again.
- Air fry for about 8-11 minutes depending on your air fryer. With my Breville Smart Oven Air, I can do the egg rolls in 2 batches and I don't have to turn them halfway through. It takes mine about 11 minutes total. On other air fryers, watch them and adjust the time if needed. Turn them halfway through baking.
- Enjoy! Dip in a good quality balsamic vinegar.
Check out my other Crispy Air Fried Chicken Egg Rolls