This recipe was created especially for Casa M Spice Co®
These Chicken and Mushroom Wonton Appetizers are creamy, gourmet comfort food in a wonton cup. Delicious bits of chicken, mushroom, bacon and cheese combined with Casa M’s latest spice – Kickstart for a unique OMG melt in your mouth taste. One bite and you’ll be hooked!
Casa M Kickstart Spice
This Kickstart Spice is a blend of their Chain Reaction spice as well as black pepper, mustard, and a few earthy, aromatic spices. Great with everything from chicken, beef, pork and lamb. A great salt replacement as well!
Do you need to use an air fryer? Can you bake them?
No, you don’t need an air fryer you can definitely bake them. It’s up to you! Preheat oven to 350°. Prebake empty wontons for about 3 minutes. After they are filled bake them about 350° 8-10 minutes, watch so they don’t burn.
Can you prep them ahead of time?
You can make up the filling and air fry or bake the wonton cups ahead of time. Immediately before guests arrive, fill the cups and bake so you can serve them hot right away.
Can you freeze them?
While you can freeze them, if you need to prep them ahead of time, I think it’s better to pre – air fry/bake the wonton cups and make the filling, then put them all together and fill and air fry/bake again before guests arrive. Cream cheese isn’t the best reheated after being the freezer, it changes the texture of the cheese.
How to make chicken and mushroom wonton appetizers in pictures:
Spray mini muffin tins with cooking spray. Line each cup with a wonton wrapper.
Preheat airfryer to 325°. I use the Breville Smart Oven Air (paid link) but any air fryer will work. You can also use the oven. Bake empty wonton cups for about 3 minutes.
Spray a large skillet with olive oil or use 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Heat on medium heat. Add onions and garlic. Cook for about 5 minutes.
Add chicken, mushrooms and Kickstart seasoning, cook until chicken is almost done.
To the skillet mixture, add the light cream cheese. Mix well.
Add 1-2 tablespoons of filling to the fried wonton cups. Top with a little of the cheese.
Air fry again for about 3-5 minutes until cheese melts.
Air Fryer Chicken and Mushroom Wonton Appetizers
- 1 breast or thigh chicken, chopped or use 1 cup cooked chicken
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup crumbled bacon (I use the Costco bacon crumbles)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1-2 tablespoons Casa M Kickstart Seasoning
- 8 oz light cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup gruyere, finely shredded
- 24 wonton wrappers
- 2 sprays olive oil sprayer or use 1 teaspoon olive oil
- Preheat air fryer to 325°
- Spray a large skillet with olive oil or use 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Heat on medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, mushrooms and Kickstart seasoning, cook until chicken is almost done.
- Spray mini muffin tins with nonstick spray. Air fry wontons (without filling) for about 3 minutes.
- To the skillet mixture, add the light cream cheese. Mix well.
- Add 1-2 tablespoons of filling to the fried wonton cups. Top with a little of the cheese.
- Air fry again for about 3-5 minutes until cheese melts.